Building Control Officer/ Manager
Building Control Officer/ Manager
Are you looking for a new challenge that gives you the chance to use your skills and expertise to support effective building controls at Selfridges? Looking for a company that wants to help further your career as well as provide you with an exciting, inspiring and fun place to work?
If the answer to all of these questions is ‘yes’ then you’re just the kind of person we’re looking for!
The Building Control Officer/ Manager plays a critical role to ensure teams and contractors are working in line with their scope of works and in a safe manner. The role is there to support and enforce safe working practises, health and safety guidelines, and to ensure all Selfridges processes and procedures are being delivered. The role is there to protect our building and its assets as well as our people, teams and customers.
The Building Control Officer/ Manager role provides 24 hour cover for the store working on a 4 on 4 off rota on shifts between 7and 7 day and night. You will be the link between the work that happens in store (day and night) and how this is delivered and handed over to relevant stakeholders.
Cover for the day shift or night-shift BCO positions for sickness or holidays will be required and would form part of your working hours. Depending on your shift, this may also include Bank Holidays (inclusive of Easter, Christmas and New Year).
As a Building Control Officer/ Manager some of your responsibilities will include:
- Ensure that all works completed in the store are done in a safe, legal, and compliant manner, and in accordance with Selfridges rules and regulations.
- Restrict and control access to areas of the Store which are deemed ‘High Risk’ such as the roof, risers, confined spaces, HV rooms and sub-sub basement areas.
- Check above ceiling and behind walls, and any other key elements before they are closed up on sites for compliant installations.
- Control the Permit System to ensure appropriate Risk Assessments / Method Statements (RAMS) are completed for all works
- Ensure that all works have the appropriate RFI for Asbestos & Permits to hand and these are checked and validated
- Manage the Fire Alarm panel for the Store and attend to any urgent faults and action accordingly
- Deliver inductions to new contractors to site / ensure they have received the correct written procedures
- Know, drive and support the management of our sustainability and carbon reduction targets.
- Enforce processes and policy to protect our building, its assets, as well as our people, teams and customers.
- Develop relationships with key stakeholders so you are involved in every project, churn and minor works that take place
- Take measurements and samples on site to make sure that the work and the materials meet the specifications agreed and works are of the necessary standards
- Develop and produce reporting for relevant stakeholders (FM, Project team, Property Director etc) on works being undertaken for them
- Be familiar with current fire regulations & British Standards
The Ideal Candidate
- Preferably educated to degree level or have equivalent experience
- Preferably possess a M&E engineering qualification or equivalent experience
- Preferably NEBOSH / H&S qualified
- IT proficient in MS Office packages
- A membership of ICWCI or CIBSE – desirable not essential
- Experienced in working within a complex retail / hospitality environment
- Understanding of listed & Heritage buildings and associated issues surrounding this, along with knowledge of any site restrictions
- Understanding of the building industry, including knowledge of materials, trades, methods and legal requirements
- Able to work under pressure and to adapt to requests with short timelines
- Honest and vigilant to make sure that the work and materials meet the required standard
- Good in judgement, able to make decisions as to when to insist on corrections, when to persuade or negotiate, and when to compromise. Seen as a custodian of the buildings
- Keeping up to date with changes in construction methods, statutory legislation
- Excellent in communication and interpersonal skills at all levels to encompass senior management, consultants, team members and the public
- Passionate about the delivery of our sustainability and carbon reduction targets.
This job is a brilliant opportunity to join a close-knit and passionate team. If you’re looking to come into a new role and make a real impact, then this will be perfect for you.
A Bit About Us
Our creative spirit
We are more than a shop. We are a social space where culture and commerce collide to release an energy that we call the Selfridges spirit. We are here to make our world brighter, and everyone is welcome.
Our awards cabinet
We’re not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World’s Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign.
Since 1909 we have been at the forefront of retail and today our stores in London, Manchester and Birmingham – alongside selfridges.com and the Selfridges App – continue to redefine the way we shop and socialise. As a Selfridges team member, you will learn what it takes to consistently drive innovation, success and amazing customer experiences.
THE FUN STUFF
There are lots of reasons to be excited about joining Team Selfridges – from our fantastic team member communities to volunteer days and behind-the-scenes Selfridges experiences throughout the year.
Other benefits and rewards include:
• Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
• Discounted gym memberships
• Pension contributions
• Annual travel pass and cycle to work schemes
• A volunteer day for all team members
• Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development
To apply for this role, click the 'apply' button today.