Development Manager, Retail Led Mixed Use Portfolio
European Investment Manager, with a portfolio worth over €7BN are looking for an in house Development Manager to focus on their UK assets. The portfolio is Retail led mixed use, and there are lots of opportunities for repositioning assets across the UK. The role will involve taking responsibility for executing an existing development programme across mixed use commercial projects and helping to procure and deliver future pipeline with a focus on residential BTR projects. It’s an exciting time to join the company as they pivot from having a mainly commercial strategy into residential and residential alternatives. They need an experienced candidate with at least 10 years RE experience, and candidate must be MRICS.
- Undertake initial feasibility studies to determine the project brief.
- Select the correct professional team to deliver the preferred option and to oversee their appointment.
- Assist the internal team in the preparation of asset specific business plans and IC papers for new development proposals.
- Provide pre-development advice and due diligence on all new projects including, but not limited to, design, viability, cost, construction program and technical solutions etc.
- Negotiate, set up and administer various forms of development agreements involving third parties (including joint ventures and forward funding arrangements) where required.
- Give commercial direction to external Project Managers/Professional team in developing the design and planning strategy, with a view to obtaining planning consent for the preferred option.
- At all stages during the development process, continue to assess the development viability and the risks being undertaken.
- Instruct and manage third party advisors to ensure all design and construction risks are managed and mitigated.
- Monitor on-site progress in accordance with the building programme and advise on any likely cause for delay or cost over-run/potential claims.
- Oversee the branding and marketing of the development and work with the Asset Manager to lease the project in accordance with the business plan.
- Ensure the handover process to the managing agents and occupiers works smoothly and efficiently.
- MRICS with 10 years and above commercially led mixed use Development experience
- Any Residential Development experience would be highly beneficial for future projects
- Proven track record of delivering schemes from inception to completion.
- Experience of dealing with all types of stakeholder in the development process (planning authorities, statutory bodies, JV partners etc.)
- Creative, innovative and dynamic approach to development.
- Commercially astute, strong numerical ability and a conscientious approach to risk/reward assessment and risk mitigation.
- Competent user of specialist software ( Argus preferred ) used in the financial assessment of development projects.
- Strong interpersonal skills - ability to manage and motivate diverse teams of external consultants and project managers.
- Ability to work well as part of a team with minimum supervision.
- Confident persona with an appetite for taking on a challenging workload and a high level of responsibility.