The Canal & River Trust owns a diverse investment property portfolio with a value in excess of £650M. The portfolio comprises prime industrial & distribution, office, retail, leisure and ground rent sector investment properties throughout England and Wales. The portfolio provides a secure income stream to the Trust that enables us to carry out our charitable activities.
The Canal & River Trust is one of the UK’s largest charities, we maintain 2,000 miles of historic canals, rivers, docks and reservoirs, along with museums, archives and the country’s third largest collection of protected historic buildings – preserving them for future generations. We care for living waterways that transform places and enrich lives, delivering greater wellbeing to millions of people.
We are looking to appoint an experienced Portfolio Manager to join our investment property team, to pro-actively manage and add value to these assets.
The successful candidate will work remotely, desirably from a location where future travel and access to one of our Leeds, Newark, Birmingham, Ellesmere Port & Milton Keynes offices/sites is possible.
Knowledge, Skills/Qualifications & Experience
About the role
- As Portfolio Manager you will be responsible for preparing, managing, and instigating innovative asset management initiatives in respect of a defined number of high value commercial property investments with a view to optimising income and capital returns in accordance with the investment property business plan.
- Identify, monitor financial performance, and deliver multiple asset management initiatives that protect and create financial value (rent reviews, lease renewals, new lettings, lease re-gears) on a wide range of investment properties and deliver completion of the same within strict timescales and in accordance with the investment property business plan.
- Prepare and update asset plans on multiple investment properties setting out short-, medium- and long-term strategic priorities, key timelines, added value initiatives and exit strategies, to deliver these priorities in accordance with the business plan.
- Prepare timely, consistent, clear and accurate property specific reports for the Trust‘s approval process including Trust Committees.
- Monitor market research and external market evidence, to ensure an understanding of property market trends, rents and yields by sector and geography along with an understanding of local and national economic indicators;
- Prepare accurate income, cost and capital value cash flow forecasts as part of business planning.
- Work closely with the national property management services supplier to ensure clear instruction and compliance with the asset plan for properties within the contract and to monitor performance of the supplier.
- Provide support to the credit control team in management of rent arrears.
- Select and monitor appropriate external advisors.
- Forecast and approve non-recoverable expenditure including capital expenditure.
- Operate with a high degree of efficiency and expertise in the use and operation of Canal & River Trust’s internal IT systems for property management activities e.g. property diary actions and Microsoft Office Sharepoint.
- Display the Trust values and behaviours at all times
- Ensure that diversity and inclusion are integrated into all aspects of Trust life and promote inclusion by challenging behaviour, practices, actions, or decisions that are counter to the objectives of the Trust’s policies and values.
- Educated to a Degree Level, with membership to the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
- Comprehensive experience of working in the commercial property sector, preferably in an asset management role.
- Proven track record of delivering value through enhanced capital and revenue returns.
- Highly motivated and commercially focused, with effective negotiating, influencing and project management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal skills to be able to prepare written reports for either the Executive or Trustees.
- Ability to work independently, delivering the asset management initiatives for the properties under your management.
- Experience overseeing or project managing a diverse range of professional consultants, including surveyors and solicitors.
- Strong technical estate management skills including valuation, preparing and analysing cash-flow models, interpreting and directing the preparation of complex legal documents, and analysing transactional market data.
- Organised with the ability to prioritise and manage your time effectively.
- Knowledge of analysing, structuring, and delivering complex, high value commercial property transactions, including disposals and acquisitions of property investments in all sectors.
What We Offer
In addition to your salary of circa £50,000, you will receive access to a competitive contributory DC pension scheme arrangement, a Car Cash Allowance, and numerous other employee benefits, including several salary sacrifice benefits. We are also open to flexible working arrangements.
We aim to represent the diverse communities we are part of and welcome applicants from across all sectors of the community. We strongly believe that a diverse workforce brings with it a diversity of ideas, thinking and ways of working which enhances what we do.
To apply for this role, please click the 'apply' button today.