Senior Property Delivery Manager
- Full Time
The Economic Infrastructure Directorate sits within the Economy, Skills and Natural Resources Group (ESNR).
The Directorate’s vision is to help create modern and connected infrastructure to join up public services and other developments to maximise regional economic benefits. The Directorate is responsible for some of the largest and most complex programmes and projects delivered by the Welsh Government. The Property division within the directorate is a commercially focused, customer facing team with skills in surveying, civil engineering, construction and planning and whose role is to:
• Deliver high quality property infrastructure, providing a range of sites and premises across Wales to meet the needs of businesses
• Deliver bespoke property and infrastructure solutions to the Public and Private Sector
• Manage the provision of Property Management Services to the Economy and Transport Portfolio so that Welsh Government’s legal, contractual and policy obligations are met and assets used effectively
• Provide governance and peer review of all property transactions across ESNR through the Property Leadership Team
• Support wider departmental and cross government strategies and policies to ensure compliance, alignment and value for money with expert analysis and insights on property development, planning and construction issues
The post-holder will be responsible for leading on a range of property infrastructure projects involving (often sensitive) commercial negotiations which may involve the purchase, development, construction, sale or transfer of property infrastructure assets. The post-holder will provide senior technical, delivery and assurance decision making for a number of complex programmes and projects.
The post holder will represent Wales in discussions at the very highest level with multi-national companies and public bodies in Wales and where necessary with UK Government.
Key Tasks :
• Advise internal clients on private sector led property solutions for companies and projects
• Develop and implement compliant projects and delivery mechanisms to support the provision of property infrastructure projects.
• Build and deploy a high level of expertise in legal and statutory planning and development frameworks as they apply to the process of property infrastructure delivery.
• Negotiate Joint Ventures with public and private partners.
• Work with the owners and promoters of major projects in order that projects advance to a stage where they are “Investment Ready”. Subsequently work with internal and external stakeholders to promote those projects to prospective Investors.
• Procure and lead multi-disciplinary professional teams to deliver effective property solutions
• Manage, evaluate and monitor the performance of projects providing regular progress reports to ensure effective delivery in accordance with forecast budget, outputs and other cross cutting policy outcomes.
• Develop and maintain a range of productive relationships with Investors, Developers, Property Owners and Public and Third Sector organisations with the objective of building an understanding of market opportunities to deliver projects that have a benefit to Wales and which align with Government policy and priorities.
• Negotiate Property acquisitions, development agreements, disposals, leases etc. and as necessary instruct and manage external advisers including valuers and lawyers.
• The post holders will provide an outstanding problem solving service to internal and external customers and will provide an agile and rapid response to major inward investment and indigenous companies in developing delivery solutions that enables businesses to invest and grow in Wales.
• Direct line management responsibility for internal technical staff and management of external consultant teams
Welsh Language Requirements:
Welsh is considered desirable but not essential
The post offers an outstanding opportunity to work in a high profile delivery area. Infrastructure investment is one of the highest priorities for the Welsh Government. It can provide an important and much needed stimulus, creating the conditions for increased and sustainable growth in all parts of Wales in the medium and longer term. The Economic Infrastructure directorate is responsible for the largest infrastructure investments ever made by the Welsh Government with a total public funding contribution exceeding £2bn over the next 5 years. The post holder will lead on complex negotiations that will ensure that much needed private sector investment can be secured to match this very significant public funding.
1. Achieving Commercial Outcomes - Understand the commercial drivers that will influence a private or third sector organisation and the levers that can be used in negotiating/influencing contractual arrangements
2. Making Effective Decisions - Identify the main issues in complex problems, clarify understanding or stakeholder expectations, to seek best option
3. Delivering at Pace - Maintain effective performance in difficult and challenging circumstances, encouraging others to do the same
4. Collaborating and partnering – Actively involve partners to deliver a business outcome through collaboration that achieves better results for citizens
Job Specific Criteria -
1. Experience of managing the successful delivery of large or complex property infrastructure projects and hands on experience of the legal and statutory frameworks and processes associated with delivering investment ready employment sites and premises.
2. Knowledge of grants and subsidies/ State aid is not essential but would be desirable, otherwise an ability to quickly assimilate complex, financial, regulatory or legal information.
3. Ability to identify and secure opportunities to deliver property infrastructure projects through innovative solutions.
Pattern of Working:
If this is a full time post applications will be considered from staff who wish to work part-time or on a job share basis (A business case should be attached in Appoint if full time only is required). Full time - applications will be considered from staff who wish to work part-time or on a job share basis
To apply for this role, please click the ‘apply’ button today