A leading developer of residential-led mixed-use schemes, with a passion for creating successful and sustainable places to live is seeking a Development Manager to join their team working on a range of large mixed-used sites across West London.
In the short term, the role will be delivery focused on some of their key sites, and thereafter will be focussing on the new developments that are about to come into the division. This division tends to look at complex residential led sites of 1000 units + and this opportunity presents a cradle to grave approach.
Managing all aspects of the overall design development process from acquisition of land to production including financial control, strategic programming, planning, negotiation of legal agreements including managing KPI's to the business encompassing OHS&E and Sustainability.
As well as having gained and understanding and practical experience in undertaking development appraisal and viability work, a working knowledge of the planning system is also required and an ability to assess opportunities both for short and medium term land acquisitions.
Key responsibilities of the role
- To assess opportunities both for short and medium term land acquisition.
- To establish and cultivate a network of agents and contacts who may be beneficial to the company’s land acquisition targets.
- In conjunction with the Development Director assess the viability of a site working in conjunction with other departments to include Sales, Commercial, Technical and Construction.
- Provide support & assistance to Land Director in preparation of early feasibility studies & concept design.
- Participate in selection of & manage in instruction, briefing and co-ordination of relevant consultants.
- Provide planning appraisals/risk assessments for initial development proposals.
- Manage strategic opportunities to optimise the value of individual projects.
- Ensure planning process is strategically managed with clarity and purpose.
- Prepare and execute appointments & fees with relevant professional consultants.
- Manage design development of high quality through concept/feasibility/outline/ scheme design work stages.
- Manage the preparation of, comment upon & submission of planning material.
- Monitor, negotiate & advance planning applications, reporting progress regularly.
- Manage production of presentation material for committee consideration & early marketing.
- Attend & ensure the company is represented at pre-application, post consultation & committee meetings with Local Authorities.
- Devise & implement strategies for enhancing third party/neighbour/community relationships.
- Attend & make presentations to local residents’ meetings & respond to ongoing queries & complaints.
- Ensure that all planning commitments, obligations, agreements & conditions are satisfied &. approvals secured at earliest opportunity.
- Ensure that all KPI ie Sustainability/ Building for Life commitments are achieved and communicated as required.
- Seek & negotiate any necessary planning amendments, variations or additional consents deriving from changes in production.
- Own, monitor & discharge all business schedules for applications, conditions & S106 obligations.
- Own, regularly update and report on planning programmes and associated risk assessment.
- Manage the integration of affordable housing strategy
- Participate in the selection of preferred RP’s & assist in negotiation & completion of Development Agreements, Specifications and Leases.
- Manage & co-ordinate the preparation of relevant conveyance plans to support such Leases.
- Own and monitor business Schedule of Affordable Accommodation.
- Facilitate effective & efficient interface between plot conveyance solicitors, land/development/technical/sales & finance teams to produce Site Set Up legals.
- Participate in the selection & appointment of preferred Managing Agents & the preparation of service charge budgets.
- Manage the successful integration of an appointed Managing Agent into a development &. monitor performance thereafter.
- Provide strategic advice on the provision/optimisation of commercial space into development proposals.
- In conjunction with the Commercial Property Director formulate strategies for the disposal/sale of commercial space.
- Manage and co-ordinate the preparation of appropriate sales documentation including marketing material, conveyance plans & commercial Leases.
- Manage the evolution and production of Commercial Tenants Manuals.
- Facilitate effective & efficient interface between land acquisition and technical production.
- Provide development advice and updates into the relevant business control documents i.e.Planning Stacks, Commencement Appraisals, Board Packs, Quarterly Reviews, Business
- Plans & other relevant business KPIs
- To mentor and oversee the career development of subordinate Development Team staff.
- Candidates need to be commercially minded with a minimum of 4 years’ experience in residential led mixed-use development in London, preferably acting for a residential developer.
- Candidates will need to have strong communication skills and be able to effectively engage with in-house and external consultants/experts. Be a key contact and resource for different teams and stakeholders.
- Full and clean driving license
- Planning procedures, development control and building regulations requirements
- Excellent verbal, written communication and IT skills required.
- Ideally RICS/RTPI qualified
Competitive salary, car allowance, benefits and bonuses
Lucie Cox, on Lucie@kdhassociates.co.uk