Cobalt are delighted to be partnering with Greencore Construction on a retained basis to search and select a Head of Quantity Surveying to join their team at a crucial point in their growth plans, following an impressive injection of funds from an institutional investor in London.
Greencore Construction has successfully established itself as one of the UK's most sustainable housebuilders. Its homes outperform all the major housebuilders in energy efficiency, carbon emissions and thermal performance. Greencore has developed and tested an innovative, modern, and highly scalable, factory based, building system adopting Modern Methods of Construction ("MMC") techniques to improve quality and productivity, and has also developed a services strategy that optimises the use of renewable energy. It has a vertically integrated business model with activity spanning land promotion, development, manufacture, and construction. Following recent investment, Greencore has an ambitious business plan that seeks to significantly expand its business from Oxfordshire into other regions and, in time, nationally. The business plan is fully supported by a strong pipeline of opportunities. As part of this plan the business is now looking to make a number of senior hires.
All new hires will need to be passionate about sustainability, have a dynamic and commercial mindset, be keen to make a difference and be motivated to help us to disrupt the UK housebuilding sector. Applicants should be excited about the opportunity of joining a young business at the beginning of its next growth phase.
We welcome candidates from all backgrounds, and we want to create a team that celebrates diversity of thought, enjoys challenge, and recognises the success that can be delivered through collaboration and support.
To be responsible for the leadership and management of Greencore's quantity surveying function and related capabilities. This role will be a key part of allowing Greencore to execute its profitable growth strategy whilst also managing risk. Responsibilities will include the development and implementation of standardised QS methodologies from initial estimation to the development of detailed job costings and management of projects (from a QS perspective). The candidate will also be expected to oversee relationships with suppliers and subcontractors, ensuring that orders/contracts are placed in a risk-controlled way. The role will involve working closely with the senior leadership team across the business.
The Head of Quantity Surveying, with their team, will be responsible for the analysis of new projects, identifying and documenting all of the required components, and developing detailed cost plans based on our design specifications, management of our construction projects and utilising our preferred list of suppliers and sub contractors. The QS will work in close collaboration with the leadership team to support the pricing and contracting process and managing the procurement team over the placing of orders and contracts to sub contractors and suppliers.
The Head of Quantity Surveying will need to be client facing to engage with our strategic partners, suppliers, sub contractors and clients, and will take the lead on the pricing of all construction contracts. They will also need to develop and maintain a robust cost plan model which can be utilised on multiple projects with common core components and some automation of standard prices and margin calculations and will also need to liaise with the rest of the business to monitor contract performance and to identify future opportunities to grow margin and reduce risk.
- Maintaining a high-level pricing model that can be used for initial estimates that are needed quickly for new business opportunities
- Streamlining and systemising the detailed cost plan approach to improve efficiency and to ensure timely delivery as negotiations progress
- Ensuring cost plans can be presented clearly to clients so that they have transparency over our pricing methodology and calculations
- Manage and develop our procurement strategy to maximise delivery whilst reducing risk and cost
- Pro-actively managing and monitoring projects (from a QS perspective) to ensure achievement of targeted margins and construction standards
- Manage and develop the QS and procurement function, including its growth as the business grows
- MRICS/MAPM/MCIOB (ideal)
- Construction/Real Estate/Quantity Surveying/Cost Management/ or similar related degree preferred
- Experience working in the residential sector for a Housebuilder/Development company/Contractor
- Ability to be based at our head office in Bicester, Oxfordshire (plus other business travel as required)
- Entrepreneurial spirit and commercially driven individual
Competitive salary, benefits and bonus structure on offer.