Our client is a leading multidisciplinary contractor that delivers innovative engineering solutions across the civil engineering and construction sectors including Rail, Highways, Airport, Marine, Energy, Water, Environmental infrastructure. Their success is founded on an ability to deliver in challenging environments and regularly winning repeat business from established clients. Currently seeking a qualified accountants ideally from civil engineering / construction background (however not essential) and with strong expertise of financial reporting (IFRS 15) and audit. The successful candidate will be responsible for the provision of assurance over the quality of financial reporting across the VWUK group and coordinating internal and external audits.
Key responsibilities for the new Appointee will include:
Reporting to the Head of Finance of the Business and responsible for the provision of assurance over the quality of financial reporting across the group. Taking a lead on ensuring the appropriate application of IFRS 15 and other technical accounting requirements. Co-ordinate across the business units to ensure the smooth running and management of external and internal audits and undertake ad hoc internal audits and technical accounting reviews. Lead ad-hoc projects to enhance quality of month end close working closely with the business unit finance and commercial teams as well as finance systems and central accounting teams. Support the CFO, business unit Finance Directors and their teams as we move into a significantly more systems based, data rich environment, business intelligence led organisation. This role will also lead the group budget and business planning process, as well as other ad-hoc projects and investigations as required.
• Form a close working relationship with the individual business and group finance and commercial teams, enabling them to achieve a high quality of financial management and control through the provision of audit, controls, risk management and financial standards expertise.
• Manage the audit process for both internal and external audit, ensuring the quality of audit information is sufficient to enable a smooth - running process across the UK group
• Put in place adequate training, guidance and policies to ensure that financial standards (IFRS) are appropriately rolled out and adhered to in each of the businesses as well as centrally.
• Provide assurance over the overall quality of the group accounting function to ensure that all Statutory, Group, and local management reporting is accurate and timely and quality ad -hoc analysis and reporting is provided to enable decision making.
• Preparation of the annual report and financial statements.
• Provide assurance that company financial systems are robust, compliant and support current activities and future growth.
• Ensure appropriate financial support and challenge in the development of new business including financial structuring and reporting arrangements
• Support in acquisitions and reviews of JVs, in particular managing due diligence for relevant business units where applicable
• Devise and manage assurance reviews over financial controls (both systems based and non -systems based) to support in the implementation of new systems and processes.
• Ensure appropriate financial risk management throughout UK group including hedging strategies, monitoring subcontractor and other partner credit ratings,
• Work closely with other members of the Senior Management Team (e.g. Legal, HR, Corporate Responsibility, ICT e.t.c.) to provide assurance that the regulatory requirements of all relevant statutory bodies are met (in particular, but not limited to, HMRC requirements, Pensions regulatory requirements, Accounting Standards and Company Law).
• Establish a high level of credibility and manage strong working relationships with relevant internal and external stakeholders including business unit Leadership teams, Functional Leads, Auditors and Advisors.
• Manage ad -hoc strategic projects on behalf of the Group CFO, FD and Head of Finance as required
• Liaising with other departments: - Internal: Group and Business Unit Boards and SMTs, Finance Teams, Group Audit & Finance teams - External: Relevant Advisors, Auditors, JV partners, clients and suppliers as appropriate
The Successful Candidate will be/have:
- Qualified accountant (ideally ACA) with significant professional audit experience – ideally Manager / Senior Manager level from big 4 background Experience in the construction and civil engineering sector audits Strong IFRS 15 and technical accounting knowledge Specialist experience (in any of) IT audit, risk management, transaction support, or consulting would be a plus Strong audit and assurance background Analytical thinking & problem solving Technical accounting skills UK engineering/contracting experience Ability to enable improvement and change Customer service driven Ability to work under time pressure and produce accurate time critical information Ability to communicate with internal and external stakeholders at all levels
This is an excellent opportunity to join a rewarding business and be a part of forward-thinking team to drive the business growth.