This Role sits within one of the UK most respected Real Estate debt funds. They're an active lender managing a multi £bn Real Estate portfolio across various strategies. This role however, sits in the Living/Residential team which lends to a range of the UK's most prominent residential developers.
This role is an opportunity to move from consultancy/contracting into the world of finance and the start of the development life cycle. You would be joining a growing team that sits within the wider Real Estate lending team, which is managing a multi £bn portfolio. The team currently has a mix of financial and construction backgrounds and complements each other in the underwriting of loans to the UK's leading Developers. The team is currently managing developments across the UK and their focus is on Residential for sale, BTR, Student and Retirement Living.
The role includes but is not limited to;
- Assessing deals and undertaking due diligence, applying knowledge of the construction market, costs, procurement routes, contract, new legislation, and green innovation initiatives.
- Hands on active monitoring of projects working with Project Monitors and other consultants when required to ensure the project is being built in accordance with the business plan, loan agreement, design, planning and building regulations. Seeing problems before they arise and reporting on them.
- Mitigating problems should they arise or persist, then management of the project from exit strategies to pivoting of business plans through to enacting profit preservation via changing the team such as contractor or sales and marketing team.
The candidate will be expected to be self-sufficient, pro active and not afraid to ask questions and challenge the status quo. This is a role that requires the ability to combine management skills but with softer people skills, building relationships quickly as well as providing ideas and solutions in order to bring the Developer and their team with you when making hard decisions.
The successful candidate may be either RICS or CIOB accredited with a background in consultancy or construction but must have at least 5 years of Residential cost experience (other sectors - commercial new build and fit-out, hotel, Sheds would also be beneficial) and have seen projects through the development life cycle. This will include appraisals, cost plans & estimates, elemental breakdowns, preparing contract documents, tender documents, and final accounts. Part of the role will be to assess Developers' appraisals and ensure the costs are sufficient for the type of project, risk and procurement route. Knowledge of D&B single and two stage would be expected as a minimum.
Part of the role is to write quarterly updates on all of the project's progress as well as present these reports at Investment Committee on occasion. You will therefore need to be have excellent written and communication skills. Being able to write succinctly and get your message across quickly. Presentations both internally and externally are common and power point knowledge will be required. Above all Excel is widely used and you must be proficient in its use as would be expected of someone from a cost background.
Key Requirements include but are not limited to;
- Senior professional with established experience
- Working for established Cost Consultant or Contractor
- Experience of Residential Towers / Single Family
- RICS or BCIS accredited
- 2:1 Degree minimum