We are looking for an ambitious and proactive Senior Estates Surveyor to join our Corporate Property Assets department
Melton Mowbray is a desirable place to work and the modern council offices are located adjacent to the train station. Melton Borough Council has a flexible work from home policy and is passionate about the wellbeing of its employees.
Melton Borough Council currently has a portfolio of commercial property comprising offices, light industrial units, car parks, shops, leisure centres and other assets.
Following restructure and a re-focussing of its priorities, the Council is now looking to develop the estates management of its Corporate Property portfolio. To do this the authority is looking to recruit a Senior Estates Surveyor with a high level of experience in managing commercial property, through the delivery of estate management services, rent income management including leasing, rent reviews and new lettings.
The successful candidate will also be expected to work closely with colleagues across the Council to provide advice on all corporate property and estate management matters including corporate service charges and facilities management, as well as the Council’s car parks. The Senior Estates Surveyor is a responsible position within the Corporate Property Assets team and will lead a small facilities management team in the delivery of estate management services. The Corporate Property Assets team is newly created following the Council’s restructure, and is led by the Corporate Property & Asset Manager to who the Senior Estates Surveyor will report to and support in shaping the successful delivery of the estate management service across the Council’s portfolio.
About the role
Some of the key responsibilities of the role will include:
- To lead on estates management across the Council’s corporate and commercial property estate, including managing a small facilities team for the delivery of landlord services across the estate.
- To manage the partner relationships in the sharing of accommodation within the corporate property estate, including overseeing the delivery of Facilities Management services.
- To assist with or directly manage new lettings, lease renewals and rent reviews across the commercial property estate.
- To manage the rent income received across the estate, including car parks, and both identify and realise opportunities to maintain and increase income received from the Council’s commercial property estate.
- To facilitate cost effective estate management across the Council’s commercial property portfolio, including identifying savings and implementing cost recovery strategies.
Skills essential for success in the role will include:
- Experience of managing commercial property including estate management, service charges and delivering landlord services, overseeing facilities management and building surveyors, whether internal or external, for assessing asset condition and delivering programmes of repair and maintenance and small works projects.
- Knowledge and experience of commercial property leases, both interpretation and negotiation. The ability to assist or manage directly new lettings, lease renewals and rent reviews would be advantageous.
- Knowledge and experience of relevant health & safety legislation that is relevant to managing commercial property. A working knowledge of the RICS service charge code would also be advantageous.
- Some experience of managing others, ideally a small team, in the delivery of estate management services.
- An enthusiastic attitude and can do approach.
- The ability to demonstrate political sensitivity, understanding and awareness of different interest groups in managing the Council’s corporate property including working with external partners and community groups.
- The ability to successfully communicate complex estate management issues at all levels.
The post is subject to a Disclosure and Barring Check (DBS).
We guarantee an interview to anyone who is a reservist, veteran or has a disability and meets the criteria for the role.
Closing date: Noon, Friday 19th of August 2022
To apply for this role, please click the 'apply' button today.